Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The Sacraments: The Lord’s Supper Part 2 - 1 Sam 21:1-9; Mark 14:12-25

     I am struck in the reading of the Gospel of Mark that the disciples seem so willing to go and follow Jesus's odd and specific directions. Go and find a man with a water jug and he will lead you to a house and you are to ask the owner to celebrate in their guest room. Yet they followed exactly what Jesus said because they had their heart set on preparing for this special celebration. 

     And Jesus gave them space to go. To prepare. To serve in their particular way. He was willing to give them instructions to do so. He wanted to be with them. 

     Yet, at the same time, I thought about what I prepare for and how I go about it. Do I seek Jesus's direction in my life? Do I have a heart attuned to discernment? Or do I go about things in my own way, because I am afraid of what Jesus will say?

     For we are all called to prepare - but the hardest question is perhaps what we are preparing for. We may have one answer that we say in public, but I mean in our honest heart of hearts, what are we preparing for? And have we asked Jesus to lead us in that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment